After discussing last weeks lecture on identity we started the session by getting into pairs and creating a list of things that we use to identify ourselves as individuals.
What makes you, you?
- Political views.
- Personality traits.
- Geographical location.
- Conscious understanding of humanity.
- Aesthetic attraction.
- Understanding of society.
We then reviewed peoples opinions as a class list, below are the things we didn't already have on our initial list;
- Parents & how they raise you.
- Marital status.
- Era/year you are born.
How do we express our identities?
- Opinions & how openly you express them.
- Social media.
- How you interact with people.
- Visual media.
Again, we reviewed people opinions as a class;
- Who you associate with.
All of the above terms are individual subjective qualities that help form our complex sense of self.
- Human beings gain a sense of who we are from the reactions that we get from the individuals from the external world.
Identities & reactions are created for the purpose of recreating the psychological feelings created during the mirror stage of life.
Referrers to when you compare yourself to other and highlights the differences, this action helps to create an individual identity and shows you what you are not. For example, a man could look at his expensive watch and come to the conclusion that he is not poor.