Wednesday 26 February 2014

CONTEXT OF PRACTICE 2 - BRIEF 2 - SCHOOL DISTRIBUTION RESEARCH

My response to the brief is taking the form of a simple leaflet aimed at parents of the children who often fall victim to the manipulative techniques of the modern day advertiser. While collecting research for my essay I discovered that the group of children usually targeted are aged between 6 and 12. 

Due to the age range of children targeted by advertising schemes I outlined the ideal distribution point as a primary school, as both parents and children are present within the environment.

I am very unfamiliar with the rules and regulations surrounding the distribution of information from schools so decided to collect some primary research to see if the outcome could potentially be distributed a primary learning environment. 



THE MESSAGE;

I decided to contact the schools via email so that I could distribute a large volume of inquiries and increase my chance of receiving and informed response. The message was composed within Microsoft word to ensure that there were no spelling or punctuation mistakes before distributing the email.



MESSAGE CONTENTS;

Dear Sir or Madam,

My name is Jordan Harrison Reader and I am a second year Graphic Design student currently studying at Leeds College of Art.

The reason I am contacting you is to ask a few quick questions to help gather primary sourced information for an on-going brief.  

The project looks at the various techniques used by advertising firms on child based target audiences and the products they promote.

In response to the brief I have created an information pack aimed at parents. The pack disseminates important knowledge about the manipulative techniques used by advertisers and offers parents’ guidance as to how to protect their children from the range of methods used.

The hypothetical pack would ideally be disseminated from a primary school learning environment as the age range of children targeted by the industry lies between 6 and 12 years old.

Due to the school based environment from which I would like to distribute the hypothetical pack, I would like to ask for information regarding the rules and regulations surrounding the distribution of leaflet based documents from school. Additionally, I would also like to enquire about the rules and regulations surrounding the display of posters within the school environment.

Any information you can provide me with will be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,

Jordan Harrison Reader. 




PRIMARY SCHOOLS

To increase my changes of getting a response to the message I decided to first send it to the head teacher of the primary school I attended as a child.






ADDITIONAL DISTRIBUTION 

Additionally, I also decided to distribute the message to a number of additional primary schools incase my initial message received no response. 

As a feature of Google maps the location of all primary and secondary schools are shown as a standard. Moreover, the program also distributes links to the personal webpages of each school allowing me to access the contact information of almost every school in England. 




Using the information available on Google maps I found the contact emails for around 20 additional schools located around the country and disseminated my message to them. 









RESPONSES;






No comments:

Post a Comment