Below is a list of the books I borrowed from the college library and their relevance to my essay.
THE MEANING OF MARXISM - PAUL D'MANTO
- Discusses in detail the capitalist system - relevant to essay focus
- Presents Marx's view of said system.
- Useful for quotes supporting points made about capitalism and consumerism.
CONSUMER SOCIETY - BARRY SMART
- Discusses consumerism in detail - relevant to essay focus
- Presents information about child consumers - directly relevant to essay focus.
- Discusses contemporary capitalism.
CONSUMING CHILDREN - JANE KENWAY & ELIZABETH BULLEN
- Provides information on child consumers - directly relevant to the focus of the essay.
- Discusses in detail corporate influence in education - relevant to the essays focus on educational institutions.
CONSUMER KIDS - ED MAYO & AGNES NAIRN
- Discusses in detail the various manipulative methods used to influence children - directly relevant to the focus of the essay.
- Provides data surrounding the child based target market - directly relevant to the focus of the essay.
- Very useful book, most of its contents will be relevant to the points made in the essay.
CONSUMERISM AND ETHICS - LISA FIRTH
- Provides facts and statistics about capitalism - relevant to the focus of the essay.
- Provides facts and statistics about child based consumers - directly relevant to the focus of the essay.
INTERNET BASED RESEARCH
Additionally, I also collected some internet based research in the form of a digital article written for 'The Atlantic' by a man called Andrew Simmons.
The article bares relevance to my essay as it covers points made about education. Written by a experienced teacher the interesting article discusses how class influences your educational ambitions. To briefly summarise, students from low income families attending high school are often motivated to attend a university with the idea that they can alleviate some financial strains. Contrasting this, children from affluent families are motivated with the ideas that they can do something productive with a skill they love.
In my essay I want to cover points relating capitalism, class and education, therefore the article is very useful as it supports points I potentially want to make.